Today’s Current Affairs: 19th Oct 2023 for SSC CGL, State SSC, RRB, Railways, Banking Exam & IBPS, etc:
The Reverse Swing: Colonialism to Cooperation’ Launched by Ashok Tandon
- India’s Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas, Hardeep Singh Puri, recently unveiled ‘The Reverse Swing: Colonialism to Cooperation,’ a book authored by Ashok Tandon.
- In ‘his book Tandon elegantly narrates India’s transition from a colonized nation to the world’s fifth-largest economy.
Indian President Unveils Bihar’s Fourth Krishi Roadmap:
- The President of India, Smt Droupadi Murmu, introduced Bihar’s fourth Krishi Road Map (2023-2028) in Patna.
- This roadmap charts a course for Bihar’s agriculture in the coming years.
- During her address at the launch, the President stressed the vital role of agriculture in Bihar and its substantial impact on the state’s economy.
PM to Launch India’s First Regional Rapid Transit System (RRTS):
- PM Narendra Modi is scheduled to inaugurate the priority section of the Delhi-Ghaziabad-Meerut RRTS Corridor at Sahibabad RapidX Station, Uttar Pradesh. During the event, he will also flag off the RapidX train, connecting Sahibabad to Duhai Depot, symbolizing the launch of the Regional Rapid Transit System (RRTS) in India.
Cabinet Approves MSP for Rabi Crops for 2024-25:
- This move by the government involves an increase in the MSP of Rabi Crops for the said season, with the aim of ensuring that farmers receive remunerative prices for their produce.
Centre approves 4% hike in DA for central govt employees:
- The Union Government recently took a significant step to benefit Central government employees and pensioners by increasing the Dearness Allowance (DA) and Dearness Relief (DR) by 4%.
- This increase will be effective from July 1, 2023.
National Film Awards 2023:
- The winners of the 69th National Film Awards were announced at the National Media Center in New Delhi.
- Allu Arjun was honored with the Best Actor award for his outstanding performance in the 2021 film “Pushpa: The Rise.”
- Alia Bhatt, who jointly received the National Award for her role in “Gangubai Kathiawadi” along with Kriti Sanon
India has decided to extend its restrictions on sugar exports:
- This decision could potentially affect global sugar prices and raise concerns about increased food price inflation worldwide.
Air India Express Reveals New Logo, Airplane Designs:
- Tata Group-owned Air India Express has unveiled a dynamic new brand identity, characterized by a striking color scheme dominated by shades of orange and turquoise.
- The unveiling of this fresh visual identity took place at the Mumbai airport, marking a significant milestone in the airline’s evolution.
Global Remote Work Index:
- India has been ranked 64th out of 108 countries in the Global Remote Work Index (GRWI).
Dr Meenesh Shah elected to Board of International Dairy Federation:
- Dr. Meenesh Shah, the Chairman and Managing Director of the National Dairy Development Board (NDDB), has been elected to the Board of the International Dairy Federation (IDF) during the General Assembly of IDF on October 15.
Union MNRE Minister RK Singh launches Dashboard for Data on Adoption and Forecasts of EVs:
- Union Minister Raj Kumar (RK) Singh for Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE), and Ministry of Power launched a new Electric Vehicle (EV)-Ready India Dashboard (evreadyindia.org) from New Delhi, Delhi.
Mercer CFA Institute Global Pension Index 2023:
- According to the 15th annual Mercer CFA Institute Global Pension Index (MCGPI 2023), India is ranked 45th out of 47countries. The overall index value of India increased from 44.5 in 2022 to 45.9 in 2023.
- The 2023 Index is topped by the Netherlands with overall index value of 85.0, followed by Iceland (83.5) and Denmark (81.3)
FAO’s 1st Global Estimation of Impact of Disasters on Agriculture: USD 3.8 Trillion Worth Crops & Livestock Lost Over 30 years:
- The United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (UN-FAO) released a report titled ‘The Impact of Disasters on Agriculture and Food Security 2023-Avoiding and reducing losses through investment in resilience‘ which is the first–ever global estimation of the impact of disasters on agricultural production focused on crops and livestock.
4th G20 FMCBG Meeting :
- The fourth and last gathering of G20 Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors (FMCBG) during India’s presidency occurred in Marrakech, Morocco.
- Over 370 attendees, including Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors from G20 member countries, Invitee Countries, and Heads of International Organizations, participated in the event.
3/5 Gorkha Rifles of Indian Army wins Gold in Cambrian Patrol 2023 Military Exercise in UK:
- The 3/5 Gorkha Rifles (Frontier Force) team clinched a gold medal for the Indian Army (IA) at the Cambrian Patrol Competition 2023, an International Military Exercise organzied in Wales, United Kingdom (UK).
Cambrian Patrol 2023 Military Exercise:
- Cambrian Patrol 2023 Military Exercise was hosted by Headquarters 160th (Welsh) Brigade on behalf of Commander Field Army of UK Army. The Cambrian Patrol Exercise is often dubbed the ‘Olympics of Military Patrolling’ as it is considered the ultimate test of human endurance and team spirit.
ADB approved USD 181 Million to Improve Services in Peri-Urban Areas of Ahmedabad:
- Asian Development Bank (ADB) has approved a loan worth USD 181 million to build infrastructure and services and strengthen urban management in the peri-urban areas of Ahmedabad, Gujarat to control urban sprawl.
Bharti Group to Acquire AXA’s 49% Stake:
- Bharti Group, through its holding company Bharti Life Ventures Private Limited (BLVPL) has entered into a binding agreement with its Joint Venture(JV) partner AXA to acquire its 49% of stake in Bharti AXA Life Insurance.
IOCL to Invest Rs 1,660.15 Crore in Indian Oil NTPC Green Energy Pvt Ltd:
- Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL), a state-owned Maharatna company, is set to invest Rs 1,660.15 crore as equity in IndianOil NTPC Green Energy Pvt Ltd for setting up renewable power plants.
- IndianOil NTPC Green Energy Pvt Ltd is a joint venture (JV) company with a 50:50 share between IOCL and NTPC Green Energy Ltd, (a wholly-owned subsidiary of NTPC Limited) formed in June 2023.
Justice Siddharth Mridul Appointed Chief Justice of Manipur High Court:
- Delhi High Court judge Siddharth Mridul was appointed Chief Justice (CJ) of Manipur High Court by the union government based on the recommendation of the Supreme Court Collegium in July 2023.
International Day for the Eradication of Poverty 2023:
- The United Nations (UN) International Day for the Eradication of Poverty also known as End Poverty Day is annually observed across the globe on 17 October to raise awareness about the global issue of poverty and how it is a violation of human rights and human dignity.
- The 2023 theme of International Day for the Eradication of Poverty is, “Decent Work and Social Protection: Putting Dignity in Practice for All.”