Today’s Current Affairs: 20th Oct 2023 for SSC CGL, State SSC, RRB, Railways, Banking Exam & IBPS, etc:
China’s Nuclear Arsenal Buildup: U.S. Pentagon Report:
- The U.S. Pentagon has released a report on China’s military power, indicating that China is expanding its nuclear weapons arsenal at a faster rate than previously estimated.
- This report also suggests that China may be drawing lessons from Russia’s conflict in Ukraine for potential scenarios related to Taiwan.
India’s Growing Contribution to Global Economic Growth:
- Krishna Srinivasan, Director of IMF Asia & Pacific Department, has stated that India’s contribution to global economic growth will increase from its current 16% to 18% within the next five years.
21st India-France Military Sub-Committee meeting Held In New Delhi:
- The 21st edition of the India-France Military Sub Committee (MSC) meeting took place on October 16-17, 2023, at the Air Force Station in New Delhi.
- Kati Bihu, also known as Kongali Bihu, is a significant festival celebrated by the Assamese people in the northeastern state of Assam. It falls on the first day of the ‘Kati’ month, which typically occurs in the middle of October
WOAH Approves India’s Self-Declaration of Freedom from HPAI:
- The World Organisation for Animal Health (WOAH) has approved India’s self-declaration of freedom from Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI), commonly known as bird flu, in certain poultry compartments (approved farms) in Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Uttar Pradesh, and Chhattisgarh.
Education Minster Dharmendra Pradhan launched NCERT’s web portal “Apna Chandrayaan’ for students:
- The Ministry of Education(MoE), launched a web portal ‘Apna Chandrayaan’ for school students in New Delhi, Delhi.
- The web portal was developed by the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT).
BIS Approves India’s First-ever Indigenous AC & DC Combined Charging Connector Standard for LEVs:
- It is also the world’s 1st charging standard that combines AC and DC charging for small EVs, such as electric scooters, motorcycles, three-wheelers, and quadricycles, and is designed and engineered in India.
MENA Climate Week 2023:
- It is the 2nd of four Regional Climate Weeks held in 2023.
- MENA Climate Week is particularly significant as it precedes COP28, the UN Climate Change Conference scheduled to take place in Dubai from late November 2023.
FICCI Economic Outlook Survey Pegged Median GDP growth forecast for FY23-24 at 6.3%
- According to Economic Outlook Survey released by Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI), India’s annual median Gross domestic product (GDP) growth rate for the financial year 2023-24 (FY2023-24) is projected at 6.3% with a minimum and maximum growth estimate of 6% and 6.6%, respectively.
CCI approves merger of IDFC Ltd with IDFC FIRST Bank:
- Competition Commission of India (CCI) has approved the Scheme of Amalgamation of IDFC Limited(IDFCL) with IDFC FIRST Bank.
- The approval was granted under the Green Channel Route, which is a fast-track route for mergers and acquisitions that are unlikely to have any adverse impact on competition.
39th Raising Day of NSG:
- National Security Guard (NSG) annually celebrate its Raising Day on 16th October to mark the establishment of NSG (also known as Black Cats) on 16th October 1984.
- 16th October 2023 marks the observance of 39th Raising Day of NSG.