Today’s Current Affairs: 8th Dec 2023 for SSC CGL, State SSC, RRB, Railways, Banking Exam & IBPS, etc:
INS Vikramaditya & INS Vikrant to be deployed for Milan-2024:
- The Indian Navy has planned to deploy both its aircraft carriers INS Vikramaditya and INS Vikrant on the eastern seaboard during Milan-2024, a flagship international naval exercise hosted by Vizag from February 19-27 next year.
Vice Admiral Dinesh Tripathi to become India’s new Vice Chief of Navy Staff:
- The Government of India has approved several high-profile appointments, including the elevation of Vice Admiral Dinesh K Tripathi to the position of Vice Chief of the Naval Staff.
- He is set to take on the crucial role of Vice Chief of the Naval Staff, effective early January 2024.
Garba Of Gujarat’ Declared as an Intangible Cultural Heritage by UNESCO:
- Garba of Gujarat’ has been inscribed in the Representative List of Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity by UNESCO, under the provisions of the 2003 Convention for the Safeguarding of Intangible Cultural Heritage during the 18th meeting of the Intergovernmental Committee for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage
Finance Ministry gave Rs 10,000 crore advance for MGNREGS from Contingency Fund:
- The finance ministry has provided Rs 10,000 crore as advance for the rural employment guarantee scheme from the Contingency Fund of India, over and above the budgetary allocation of Rs 60,000 crore.
LTTS collaborates with Nasscom to support Generative AI start-ups:
- IT firm L&T Technology Services Ltd (LTTS) is collaborating with Nasscom GenAI Foundry initiative to support start-ups that specialize in the field, in a bid to promote the growth of generative AI in India.
IDFC FIRST Bank’s ED Madhivanan resigns:
- IDFC FIRST Bank said its Executive Director Madhivanan Balakrishnan has tendered his resignation.
- The Nomination & Remuneration Committee and the Board of Directors of the Bank at their respective meetings have accepted the said resignation.
The government decided to implement a component of “Nari Adalat” in a phased manner under Mission Shakti:
- Union Minister for Women and Child Development Smriti Irani has informed the Rajya Sabha that the Government has decided to implement the component of “Nari Adalat” in a phased manner under Mission Shakti.
Government of India and ADB sign $175 million loan to improve connectivity in Madhya Pradesh:
- The Government of India and the Asian Development Bank (ADB) yesterday signed a $175 million loan to improve connectivity and resilience of roads in the state of Madhya Pradesh.
- The project will upgrade about 500 kilometers of state highways and major district roads to a standard two-lane feature.
Indian-origin media executive Samir Shah to head BBC Board:
- A British-Indian has been picked by the U.K. Government to head the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) as its next chair.
- Samir Shah, a 71-year-old former BBC non-executive director and media executive, was born in Aurangabad and moved to the U.K. in 1960.
Italy Withdraws from China’s Belt and Road Project:
- Italy has formally notified China of its withdrawal from Beijing’s ambitious Belt and Road Infrastructure Initiative (BRI), a significant trade and infrastructure project.
- The Italian prime minister, Giorgia Meloni, has long been critical of the project and had expressed her intention to withdraw from the deal, seen by many as an effort by China to buy political influence.
US pop star Taylor Swift named Time Magazine’s Person of the Year:
- Taylor Swift was named TIME’s 2023 Person of the Year—making her the first woman to appear twice on a Person of the Year cover since the franchise began in 1927.
BHEL wins CII-EXIM Bank Award for Business Excellence – 2023:
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) has won the prestigious CII EXIM Bank Award for Business Excellence 2023.
- This award is a testament to the company’s unwavering commitment to excellence, resilience, and its ability to adapt to the dynamic business landscape.
India’s Goods sector surpasses services in exports for the first time:
- For the first time the Goods (Merchandise) sector has surpassed the services sector in Exports.
- The export has reached 762 billion dollars in the last financial year.
India set to become 3rd largest economy by 2030, GDP to be around 7% in 2026-27: S&P Global Ratings:
- India is set to become the world’s third-largest economy by 2030, S&P Global Ratings said in its latest report.
- It said that the nation’s GDP growth would be around 7% in the 2026-27 fiscal year.
- In its Global Credit Outlook 2024, S&P predicted a 6.4% GDP growth in the fiscal year year through March 2024 as compared 7.2% in the previous financial year.
Argentina superstar Lionel Messi named Time’s Athlete of the Year for 2023:
- Argentina captain Lionel Messi has been named Time magazine’s Athlete of the Year for 2023 after winning the Ballon d’Or for a record-extending eighth time and elevating the profile of the sport in the U.S. with his move to Inter Miami.
RBI Monetary Policy Review – December 2023:
- The RBI’s Monetary Policy Committee, in a 5:1 majority decision, has maintained the Repo rate at 6.5%.
- The growth forecast for FY2024 was revised upwards to 7%, while inflation remains at 5.4%.
Prashant Agrawal Receives National Award For ‘Best Personality- Empowerment of Differently-abled’:
- In a ceremony organized by the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities, Prashant Agrawal, the President of Narayan Seva Sansthan, was honored with the prestigious National Award for ‘Best Personality- Empowerment of Differently-abled.’
Max Life Insurance appoints Rajiv Anand as Chairman:
- Max Life Insurance, a prominent player in the insurance sector and a material subsidiary of Max Financial Services, witnessed a significant leadership change.