Today’s Current Affairs: 9th Jan 2024 for SSC CGL, State SSC, RRB, Railways, Banking Exam & IBPS, etc
Pravasi Bharatiya Divas 2024:
- Every year on January 9, India celebrates Non-Resident Indian Day (NRI Day) to recognize the valuable contributions of Indians living abroad to India’s growth.
- This day holds special significance as it marks Mahatma Gandhi’s return to India from South Africa in 1915, where he played a crucial role in India’s fight for freedom.
DGCA Implements New Rules Flight Duty Time Rules for Flight Crew:
- Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) has increased weekly rest periods from 36 hours to 48 hours for the flight crew. Night duty will now cover the period from midnight to 6 am as compared to five am earlier.
SBI Research report reveals a significant decline in individual income inequality in the country in the past 8 years:
- Individual income inequality has significantly declined during FY14-FY22 because of a “great migration” at the bottom of the pyramid, even as individual’s weighted mean income has risen from ₹3.1 lahks to ₹11.6 lahks during FY14-FY21, according to SBI’s economic research department (ERD).
ONGC starts oil production from its flagship deep-sea project in the Krishna Godavari basin in the Bay of Bengal:
- ONGC has started producing from the Cluster-2 project in the KG-DWN-98/2 block and will slowly ramp up output.
LIC to acquire 10% stake in National Housing Board-promoted company:
- Life Insurance Corporation of India said its board has approved acquiring up to 10% of a company promoted by the National Housing Bank.
IRDAI eases norms for investment in infrastructure by insurers:
- The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) has done away with the current practice of a case-to-case basis approval for investments in the Infrastructure Development Fund (IDF) by the insurers.
Fino Payments Bank applies to RBI for small finance bank license:
- Fino Payments Bank has applied to the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), seeking a small finance bank license, the regulator said in a release.
Kyrgyzstan declares snow leopard national symbol:
- Kyrgyzstan has officially declared the snow leopard as its national symbol, underscoring its commitment to conservation and ecological balance.
4th Secretary General of BIMSTEC:
- Ambassador Indra Mani Pandey, a senior diplomat of India, assumed today the position of Secretary General (SG) of the Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC).
World Bank raises GBP 1.5 billion in 5-year sustainable development bond:
- The International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD), representing the World Bank, has successfully priced a 5-year bond in Great British Pound sterling (GBP) set to mature in October 2028.
PhonePe Appoints Ritesh Pai As CEO For International Payments Division:
- Walmart-owned fintech firm PhonePe has appointed Ritesh Pai as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of its international payments business.
Mamata Banerjee launches ‘Yogyasree’ for SC/ST students in West Bengal:
- The initiative aims to provide free training modules for Scheduled Caste (SC) and Scheduled Tribe (ST) students in West Bengal, specifically targeting entrance and competitive examinations.
First Cyclone Of 2024, Alvaro, Strikes Madagascar:
- Tropical Cyclone Alvaro made landfall in southwest Madagascar on January 1st, 2024, marking the first significant cyclone impact on the island nation in the ongoing 2023-2024 cyclone season for the southwest Indian Ocean region