19th Session Of The Commission On Genetic Resources For Food And Agriculture:
The 19th session of the Commission on Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture (CGRFA) was held in Rome, Italy.
- 19th session of the CGRFA ,venue: FAO headquarters in Rome, Italy.
- Date: from 17 to 21 July 2023.
- Organized by: Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO).
- Focus areas is the state of the world’s forest and plant genetic resources, access and benefit-sharing policies, and biotechnologies for the conservation and sustainable use of genetic resources.
- The Commission will also discuss:-
- a Framework for Action on Biodiversity for Food and Agriculture.
- the role of genetic resources for food and agriculture in mitigation of and adaptation to climate change
- microorganism and invertebrate genetic resources, including pollinator and biological control agents
Commission on Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture (CGRFA):
- It was Established in 1983.
- The Commission on Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture (CGRFA) is the only permanent intergovernmental body focused on conserving all types of biodiversity for food and agriculture.
- The Commission consists of 179 Member States and the European Union.
- Membership of the Commission is open to all Members of FAO.
- Objective is to promote international policies for the sustainable use and conservation of genetic resources for food and agriculture, while also ensuring that benefits derived from biodiversity are fairly and equitably shared.
- The Commission offers a unique platform for its members and other stakeholder to promote a world without hunger by fostering the use and development of the whole portfolio of biodiversity important to food security and rural poverty.
- The CGRFA meets regularly to address policies on genetic resources for food and agriculture.