Ashadha Purnima : 3rd July 2023
The International Buddhist Confederation (IBC), under the aegis of the Ministry of Culture, will celebrate Ashadha Purnima on July 3, as the Dharma Chakra Pravartana Divas at the National Museum, New Delhi.
- The day is also celebrated as Guru Purnima and it falls every year on the full moon day of the month of Ashadha as per the Indian lunar calendar.
- The day is also celebrated as Esala Poya in Sri Lanka and Asanha Bucha in Thailand.
- The day is remembered for the first teaching of Gautam Budha after attaining Enlightenment to the first five ascetic disciples (pancavargiya) on at ‘Deer Park’, Risipatana Mrigadaya in the present day Sarnath, near Varanasi.
- This day is also aptly observed as Guru Purnima by both Buddhists and Hindus as a day to mark reverence to their gurus.
- This day also marks the beginning of the rainy season retreat for the Monks and Nuns also starts with this day.
- The season lasts for three months from July to October.
- During the season they remain in a single place, generally in their temples dedicated to intensive meditation.