Assistance To Disabled Persons Scheme:
A Samajik Adhikarita Shivir(social empowerment camp) for distribution of aids and assistive devices to Divyangjan under the ADIP (Assistance to Disabled Persons) Scheme was organised in Punjab.
- Divyangjan or Divyang: Earlier, in 2015 the Prime Minister decided that persons with disabilities should no longer be referred to as disabled persons or viklang (someone with non-functional body parts) instead they will be referred to as Divyangjan or Divyang (one with a divine body).
- Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment is the Nodal ministry
- It has been in operation since 1981.
- The scheme follows the definitions of various types of disabilities as given in the Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) (PWD) Act 1995.
- The PWD Act was replaced by the Right of Persons with Disabilities Act 2016.
- Objective: To assist the needy disabled persons in procuring durable, sophisticated and scientifically manufactured, modern, standard aids and appliances that can promote their physical, social and psychological rehabilitation by reducing the effects of disabilities and enhancing their economic potential.
- Grants-in-aid are released to various implementing agencies (Artificial Limbs Manufacturing Corporation of India, National Institutes, Composite Regional Centres, District Disability Rehabilitation Centres, State Handicapped Development Corporations, Non-governmental Organizations (NGOs) , etc.) for purchase and distribution of aids and assistive devices.
- Assistance: Aids/appliances which do not cost more than Rs. 10,000 are covered under the Scheme for single disability.
- However, in some cases the limit would be raised to Rs.12,000. In the case of multiple disabilities, the limit will apply to individual items separately in case more than one aid/appliance is required.
- Full cost of aid/appliance is provided if the income is up to Rs. 15,000 per month and 50% of the cost of aid/appliance is provided if the income is between Rs. 15,001 to Rs. 20,000 per month.