Basic Animal Husbandry Statistics 2022:
The Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry & Dairying has released the ‘Basic Animal Husbandry Statistics 2022, showing an increase in the milk, eggs and meat productions in India.
- The contribution of livestock in the agriculture sector has been showing steady improvement that signifies its growing importance for the country’s economy.
- Total milk production in India was 221.06 million tonnes in 2021-2022, keeping It the largest milk producing country in the world.
- Production had increased by 5.29% over the previous year.
- The Indigenous cattle contribute 10.35% of the total milk production in the country whereas non-descript cattle contribute 9.82% and non-descript buffaloes contribute 13.49% of the total milk production in the country.
- Top five major milk producing States are Rajasthan (15.05%), Uttar Pradesh (14.93%), Madhya Pradesh (8.06%), Gujarat (7.56%) and Andhra Pradesh (6.97%).
- The total egg production was 129.60 billion numbers, and it is an increase by 6.19% than the previous year.
- Top five egg producing States are Andhra Pradesh (20.41%), Tamil Nadu (16.08%), Telangana (12.86%), West Bengal (8.84%) and Karnataka (6.38%) and these States together contribute 64.56% of total egg production in the country.
- The total meat production in the country was 9.29 million tonnes, increasing by 5.62% as compared to the previous year.
- The meat production from poultry is contributing about 51.44% of the total production.
- The top five meat producing States are Maharashtra (12.25%), Uttar Pradesh (12.14%), West Bengal (11.63%), Andhra Pradesh (11.04%) and Telangana (10.82%). They together contribute 57.86% of total meat production in the country
- The total wool production in the country during 2021-22 was 33.13 thousand tonnes which had declined by 10.30% as compared to previous year.
- The top five major wool producing States are Rajasthan (45.91%), Jammu and Kashmir (23.19%), Gujarat (6.12%), Maharashtra (4.78%) and Himachal Pradesh (4.33%).