Bilateral Exercise ‘VARUNA-2022’:
The 20th edition of the Indian and French Navy bilateral exercise ‘VARUNA-2022’ is being conducted in the Arabian Sea.
- It has become a vital part of the India-France strategic bilateral relationship.
- The Indian and French Navies have been conducting bilateral maritime exercises since 1993. Since 2001, these exercises have been called ‘VARUNA’. This is an annual event.
- These interactions further underscore the shared values as partner navies, in ensuring freedom of seas and commitment to an open, inclusive Indo-Pacific and a rules-based international order.
- Other Indo-French Joint Exercises:
- Desert Knight-21 and Garuda (Air exercise)
- Shakti (Army exercise)