Bureau Of Indian Standards : 77th Foundation Day
The Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS), a body under the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food, and Public Distribution, Government of India, celebrated its 77th Foundation Day on 6th January 2024.
- BIS is the National Standard Body of India established under the BIS Act 2016 for the harmonious development of the activities of standardization, marking and quality certification of goods.
- BIS has its headquarters at New Delhi.
- It operates various schemes like Product Certification (ISI mark), Hallmarking of Gold and Silver Jeweller, ECO Mark Scheme (for labeling of environment friendly products).
- The BIS Act, 2016, has been implemented since October 2017.
- The major highlights of the act are:
- Enables the government to authorize any agency apart from BIS to certify and enforce conformity to a standard.
- Provides consumer protection measures like recall of non-conforming standard marked products, compensation to the consumer and more stringent penal provisions.