Cigaritis meghamalaiensis : New Species Of ‘Silverline’ Butterflies
Tamil Nadu have thrown up a new species of ‘silverline’ butterflies.
- Cigaritis meghamalaiensis is the new species of butterfly.
- It has become the first butterfly species to be described from the Western Ghats in 33 years.
- The researchers had first come across the distinct species belonging to the Cigaritis genus in the high elevations of Periyar in Idukki in 2018.
- Further explorations have revealed the species to be confined to the Meghamalais and the adjoining Periyar Tiger Reserve.
- There are seven species of Cigaritisin the Western Ghats, viz., C. vulcanus, C. schistacea, C. ictis, C. elima elima, C. lohita lazularia, C. lilacinus, and C. abnormis. Of these, all except C. lilacinus have been reported from the southern Western Ghats.