District Climate Change Missions:
The Tamil Nadu government has established District Climate Change Missions in all 38 districts.
- The missions will be headed by the Collectors as Mission Directors.
- The District Forest Officers will function as Climate Officers.
- The missions will help strengthen the government’s climate response at the grassroots, said Supriya Sahu, Additional Chief Secretary, Department of Environment, Climate Change and Forest.
- The missions will create strong policy support across all sectors of governance, devise strategies to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and bench-mark industries to move towards green manufacturing.
- They will also promote eco-friendly technologies, such as solar and wind energy technologies, biodegradable packaging and e-vehicles.
- The Collectors will have to prepare district-level climate change mitigation and adaptation plans, build capacity and provide inputs for low-carbon, climate-resilient development plans.
- Another key deliverable is strengthening the ‘Meendum Manjappai’ campaign against the use of single-use plastics.
- The Collectors will also work towards strengthening Climate Smart Villages and creating bio-shields in coastal areas.
- The government has initially sanctioned ₹3.80 crore for 38 district missions which will function under the supervision of the Tamil Nadu Climate Change Mission.