The Supreme Court of India’s monumental project of translating all of its 36,000 judgments into Scheduled Languages achieved unprecedented speed in 2023, with the E-SCR portal starting with just 2,238 translated judgements as of January and ending the year with over 31,000 rulings translated.
- e-SCR portal is an initiative to provide the digital version of the apex court’s judgements in the manner as they are reported in the official law report.
- The Supreme Court has developed a search engine with the help of the National Informatics Centre.
- It is comprising elastic search technique in the database of e-SCR and the search facility in e-SCR provides for free text search, search within search, case type and case year search, judge search, year and volume search and bench strength search options.
- It will provide free access to its about 34,000 judgements to lawyers, law students and the common public.
- These verdicts will be available on the apex court website, its mobile app and on the judgment portal of the National Judicial Data Grid (NJDG).