Environment Performance Index 2022:
In the recently released Environment Performance Index-2022, India was at the bottom among 180
- The Environment Performance Index (EPI) is an international ranking system that measures environmental health and sustainability of countries.
- The EPI, a biennial index, was started in 2002 as Environmental Sustainability Index by the World Economic Forum in collaboration with the Yale Center for Environmental Law and Policy and the Columbia University Center for International Earth Science Information Network.
- Denmark tops the 2022 rankings — an achievement rooted in strong performance across nearly all issues tracked by the EPI, with notable leadership in efforts to promote a clean energy future and sustainable agriculture.
- The United Kingdom and Finland place 2nd and 3rd, both earning high scores for slashing greenhouse gas emissions in recent years.
- The United States places 20th out of 22 wealthy democracies in the Global West and 43rd overall.
- With a paltry score of 18.9, India’s 180th ranking comes after Pakistan, Bangladesh, Vietnam and Myanmar.
- India has also scored low on rule of law, control of corruption and government effectiveness, according to EPI.
- India was ranked 168th in EPI-2020, with a score of 27.6.
- In EPI-2020, Denmark has been ranked first in environmental health and sustainability