Exercise Malabar 2023:
The 31st edition of the Malabar multilateral exercise will be held off Sydney from August 11-21.
- Exercise Malabar was started in 1992 as a bilateral naval exercise between India and US navy.
- The first Malabar Exercise in the Bay of Bengal took place in 2007.
- It was expanded into a trilateral format with the inclusion of Japan in 2015.
- In 2020, the Australian Navy joined the Malabar Exercise, making it a quadrilateral naval exercise.
- The aim of the Malabar Exercise of India, the US, Japan and Australia is to coordinate for a free, open, and inclusive Indo-Pacific.
- It takes place annually in the Indian Ocean and Pacific Oceans alternatively.
- This exercise includes a diverse range of activities such as fighter combat operations and maritime interdiction operations.