Exercise SURYA KIRAN: 17th Edition
The 17th edition of Joint Military Exercise SURYA KIRAN will be conducted in Pithoragarh, Uttarakhand, from November 24th to December 7th, 2023.
- Exercise SURYA KIRAN is a joint military exercise between the Indian army and the Nepali army.
- It is an annual event and is conducted alternately in the two countries.
- The Indian Army contingent, comprising 354 personnel, is being led by a battalion from the Kumaon Regiment. The Nepal Army contingent is represented by the Tara Dal Battalion.
- The aim of the exercise is to enhance interoperability in jungle warfare, counter-terrorism operations in mountainous terrain, humanitarian assistance, and disaster relief under the United Nations Charter on peacekeeping operations.
- The exercise will focus on the employment of drones and counter-drone measures, medical training, aviation aspects and environment conservation.
- The exercise will provide a platform for soldiers from India and Nepal to exchange ideas and experiences, share best practises, and foster a deeper understanding of each other’s operational procedures.
- This exercise signifies the strong bonds of friendship, trust, and common cultural linkages that exist between India and Nepal.
- It sets the stage for a productive and fruitful engagement, showcasing the unwavering commitment of both nations towards broader defence cooperation.