During National Conclave on Accelerating Energy Efficiency in MSMEs , the success story of the GEF-UNIDO-BEE Project was showcased.
- The United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO), in collaboration with the Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) is executing a Global Environment Facility (GEF) funded national project titled “Promoting energy efficiency and renewable energy in selected MSME clusters in India”.
- The project was initiated in 2011.
- Aim: To develop and promote a market environment for introducing energy efficiency (EE) and enhanced use of renewable energy (RE) technologies in process applications in selected energy-intensive micro, small and medium enterprises (MSME) sectors.
- The project has been supported by the Ministry of Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises (MoMSME) and the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE).
- The project has implemented its programmatic intervention in 26 clusters in five different energy.
Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE):
- It is an agency of the Government of India, under the Ministry of Power created in 2002 under the provisions of the Energy Conservation Act, 2001.
- The mission of BEE is to assist in developing policies and strategies with a thrust on self-regulation and market principles with the primary objective of reducing energy intensity of the Indian economy.
United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO):
- It is a specialized agency of the United Nationsthat assists countries in economic and industrial development.
- It was established in 1966 by the UN General Assembly to promote and accelerate the industrialization of developing countries, which were emerging from decolonization in record numbers and with little to no industrial base.