Construction on 05 major road infrastructure development projects was launched by Governor of Ladakh from Turtuk, the northernmost village of India.
- Following the MoU, signed on 03 Sep 2021, between the Ladakh Administration and the Border Roads Organisation (BRO), projects involving construction/improvement of roads and tunnels were assigned to BRO for development of connectivity in the hilly region.
- Construction of road Hanuthang-Handanbroke-Zungpal-Turtuk, the 26.6 Km long greenfield road is planned to provide inter valley connectivity between Hanuthang-Handanbroke (Indus Valley) and Zungpal-Turtuk (Shyok Valley) across the Stakpuchan Range.
- This will also reduce the travel time to Three and Half Hours from existing Nine Hours to Turtuk via Leh without crossing the treacherous Khardungla pass.
- Upgradation of 4 major single lane roads has also commenced.
- These roads are, 78 Km road Khalse to Batallik, 50 Km road Kargil to Dumgil which will also include construction of a tunnel at Hambotingla to ensure seamless connectivity from Kargil to Batallik,70 km road Khalsar to Shyokvia Agham and 31 Km Tangtse to Lukung.
- All these roads are used extensively by travellers to reach sought after tourist destinations such as Hundar (Nubra Valley), Turtuk village, Shyok, Pangon-Tso lake and Aryan villages of Dah, Garkone Darchik etc.