High-Powered Committee On Wild Animals : Increased The Jurisdiction And Powers
The Supreme Court has increased the jurisdiction and powers of a high-powered committee to conduct necessary checks and undertake fact-finding exercises concerning the import, transfer, procurement, rescue, and rehabilitation of wild animals, including those in captivity, across India.
- It was initially constituted to oversee the transfer of captive wild elephants from the northeastern States.
- The ambit of the committee was earlier restricted to Tripura and Gujarat.
- It will now have a wider responsibility and will cater to all wild animalsin need of rehabilitation or rescue anywhere in India
High-Powered Committee on Wild Animals:
- It is set up under the chairmanship of former judge Justice Deepak Verma.
- Mandate: To consider approval, dispute, or grievance concerning the transfer or import of wild animals into India or their procurement or welfare by any rescue or rehabilitation center or zoo.
- All State and Central authorities shall report the seizure of wild animals or abandonment of captive wild animals to the Committee.
- The Committee shall be at liberty to recommend the transfer of ownership of captive animals or of seized wild animals to any willing rescue center or zoo for their immediate welfare, care, and rehabilitation.