Indira Gandhi Memorial Tulip Garden: Enters World Book of Records
The Indira Gandhi Memorial Tulip Garden in Srinagar recently entered the World Book of Records (London) as Asia’s largest such park.
- Indira Gandhi Memorial Tulip Garden previously Model Floriculture Centre, is a tulip garden in Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir.
- It is the largest tulip garden in Asia,spread over an area of about 30 hectares.
- It is situated on the foothills of the Zabarwan Range with an overview of Dal Lake.
- The garden was opened in 2007 with the aim to boost floriculture and tourism in Kashmir Valley.
- The garden is built on a sloping ground in a terraced fashion consisting of seven terraces.
- The garden houses about 48 varieties of tulip flowers. The garden also has several types of other flowers, including daffodils, hyacinths, roses, narcissus, and other ornamental plants.
- Tulip festival is an annual celebration that aims to showcase the range of flowers in the garden as a part of tourism efforts by the Government of Jammu and Kashmir.
- It is organized during the onset of the spring season in Kashmir valley.