Jal Jeevan Mission (Urban):
In the Budget 2021-22, Jal Jeevan Mission (Urban) has been announced under the Housing and Urban Affairs Ministry to provide universal coverage of water supply to all households through functional taps in all statutory towns in accordance with Sustainable Development Goal- 6.
- It complements the Jal Jeevan Mission (Rural) which envisages a supply of 55 liters of water per person per day to every rural household through Functional Household Tap Connections (FHTC) by 2024.
Objectives of Jal Jeevan Mission (Urban):
- Securing tap and sewer connections:
- To bridge the estimated gap of 2.68 crore urban household functional water tap connections.
- To provide 2.64 crore sewer connections/septage in 500 AMRUT cities.
- Rejuvenation of water bodies:
- To augment sustainable freshwater supply and create green spaces and sponge cities to reduce floods and enhance amenity value through an Urban Aquifer Management plan.
- Sponge city is a city that has the capacity to mainstream urban water management into the urban planning policies and designs.
- Creating circular water economy:
- To promote the circular economy of water through the development of the city water balance plan for each city focusing on recycling/reuse of treated sewage, rejuvenation of water bodies and water conservation.
Need Monthly Current Affairs PDF?
Get everything on your phone with our all in one app for your UPSC Preparation.
- Get daily current affairs on you phone
- Download monthly current affairs PDF
- All India daily mock tests with ranking