Union Minister Dr Jitendra Singh inaugurated the Lavender Festival in Bhaderwah, Jammu, as part of the One Week One Lab Campaign organized by CSIR-IIIM.
- This is the 2nd year of the lavender revolution. Bhaderwah is hailed as the Lavender capital of India and an Agri StartUp destination.
- Lavender Revolution (also called Purple Revolution) and Aroma Mission is a fragrant flowering plant known for its aromatic purple flowers and soothing scent. It is widely cultivated for its essential oil, which has various uses in aromatherapy, cosmetics, and culinary applications.
- Lavender Revolution Launched in 2016 by the Union Ministry of Science & Technology through the Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR) Aroma Mission
- Objective is to support the domestic aromatic crop-based agro-economy and promote entrepreneurship
- Products are Lavender oil, lavender water, hydrosol
- Significance is to support the government’s policy of doubling farm incomes, provides livelihoods, promotes entrepreneurship
Aroma Mission :
- CSIR initiative to bring transformative change in the aroma sector, promote the cultivation of aromatic crops, and benefit farmers
- Phase-I and II Phase-I covered 46 districts and trained over 44,000 people; Phase II aims to engage over 45,000 skilled resources and benefit farming families
- Nodal Agency CSIR-Central Institute of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants (CSIR-CIMAP), Lucknow