Motion Of Thanks:
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will reply to the debate on the Motion of Thanks to the President’s address in the Lok Sabha in the ongoing Budget Session of Parliament on February 7, 2022.
- The Budget Session had begun with the President Ram Nath Kovind’s address to both Houses of Parliament assembled together at Central Hall on 31st of January.
- The debate on the motion of thanks on the President’s address began on 2nd of February in the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha.
- Under Article 87 of the constitution, President of India specially addresses both Houses of Parliament together at the beginning of the first session of each year.
- The discussion on the Address is initiated by a Motion of Thanks.
- Motion of Thanks is moved by a member and seconded by another member. Members who have to move and second the Motion are from the ruling party.
- The notice of such a Motion is received through the Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs.
- The Chairman allots time for the discussion of the Address under article 87(2) in consultation with the Leader of the House.
- At the end of the discussion, the Prime Minister replies to the debate.
- Thereafter, the amendments are disposed, and then the Motion of Thanks is put to vote in the House.
- If any of the amendments is accepted then the Motion of Thanks is adopted in the amended form.