National Capital Territory Bill:
The Lok Sabha on Wednesday passed the National Capital Territory of Delhi Laws (Special Provisions) Second (Amendment) Bill, 2021.
- It seeks to regularise unauthorized colonies that existed in the National Capital Territory of Delhi as of June 1, 2014 and had seen development up to 50% as of January 1, 2015.
- It amended the National Capital Territory of Delhi Laws (Special Provisions) Second Act, 2011.
- The bill would give protection to unauthorized colonies from sealing till December 31, 2023.
- The 2011 Act was valid till December 31, 2020. The 2011 Act provided for the regularisation of the unauthorized colonies that existed in the national capital as of March 31, 2002, and where construction took place till June 1, 2014.
- A large number of people living in unauthorized colonies in Delhi are not receiving proper amenities and this Bill provided ownership rights to those living in these colonies.
- It would facilitate access to institutional credit and also improve the basic amenities.