National Means-Cum-Merit Scholarship Scheme:
The Ministry of Education recently started online registration for the National Merit cum Means Scholarship Scheme for the year 2023-24.
- National Means-cum-Merit Scholarship Scheme (NMMSS) is a Centrally Sponsored Scheme launched in May, 2008.
- Objective: Award scholarships to meritorious students of economically weaker sections to arrest their dropout at class VIII and encourage them to continue the study at secondary stage.
- One lakh fresh scholarships are awarded by the Ministry of Human Resource Development to selected students every year for study in classes from IX to XII in recognized Government, Government-aided, and local body schools.
- The amount of scholarship is Rs. 12000/- per annum (Rs. 1000/- per month) per student.
- NMMSS scholarships are disbursed directly into the bank accounts of selected students by electronic transfer through the Public Financial Management System (PFMS) following DBT mode.
- Eligibility criteria:
- Students whose parental income from all sources is not more than Rs. 3,50,000/- per annum are eligible to avail the scholarship.
- The students must have minimum of 55 % marks or equivalent grade in Class VII examination for appearing in selection test for award of scholarship (relaxable by 5% for SC/ST students).
- The students should be studying as regular student in a Government, Government-aided and local body school.
- The students studying in the Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti (NVS), Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan (KVS) and residential schools are not eligible for the scholarships under the NMMSS.
- There is reservation as per State Government norms.