Omorgus Khandesh : New Beetle Species
A scientist from the Zoological Survey of India, Western Regional Centre (WRC), Pune discovered a new beetle species.
- It is a necrophagous and also called a keratin beetle.
- This species belongs to the Trogidae family. With the addition of this new species, now there are a total of 14 extant species of this family in India.
- The beetles of this group are sometimes called hide beetles as they tend to cover their body under the soil and hide.
- It is mainly associated with bird and mammal nests or burrows.
- Necrophagous is the arthropods which feed directly on dead remains and constitute are called necrophagous.