PALM-400 Drones : Tested Succcessfully
The Indian army has recently tested the prototype version of the PALM-400 drones successfully.
- The PALM 400 – acronym for ‘Precision Attack Loitering Munition’ is a long-range, high-precision loitering munition system.
- It is the result of a joint venture between AVision Systems (Israel), UVision Air Ltd, and Aditya Precitech Private Ltd (APPL).
- It is built to fly over areas where armored vehicles are concentrated or are anticipated.
- Each PALM 400 selects its targets when armored vehicles enter the kill zone and launch an armor-piercing projectile, penetrating it from the top where there is least protection.
- It can be discharged from a canister and fly 3000-4000 feet above a kill zone for up to 120 minutes.
- It has a range of more than 100 km and travels at a speed of 50 to 140 knots (90 to 260 km/h).
- It uses electro-optical/infrared stabilized cameras to detect and engage targets both during the day and at night.
- It uses complex navigational techniques that enable it to function even in environments where the GPS has been disabled.