PM CARES Fund:
The PM CARES Fund collected ₹10,990 crore since its inception in March 2020 until March 2021.
- It spent ₹3,976 crore during the 2020-21 financial year, according to the audited financial statement posted on its website.
- As on March 31, 2021, the Fund had an unspent balance of ₹7,044 crore.
- The Fund was set up to deal with “any kind of emergency or distress situation, like posed by the COVID-19 pandemic, and to provide relief to the affected.”
- During the year, funds were disbursed for COVID vaccine purchase and testing, ventilators, hospitals, testing labs, oxygen generation plants and migrant welfare.
- Despite an earlier announcement that ₹100 crore would be spent on supporting vaccine development, no such disbursal seems to have been done.
- The Fund was established on March 27, 2020.