Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana:
The government recently extended the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana (PMGKAY) scheme for another five years.
- Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana (PMGKAY) was launched by the Indian government in April 2020 as a response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- It is designed to provide financial assistance to economically weaker sections affected by the pandemic.
- The scheme encompasses the distribution of 5 kg of free food grains each month, along with cash transfers to women and elderly individuals.
- It was introduced as part of the broader Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Package, aiming to offer relief to those adversely affected by the pandemic, especially the poor and marginalised.
- As per the scheme, the government offers 5 kg of free food grains each month in addition to the subsidised ration given to families covered by the Public Distribution System under the National Food Security Act.