Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana:
New AIIMS started under Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana are providing advanced COVID Care in States.
- Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY), a Central Sector Scheme, was announced in 2003 to address imbalances in the availability of tertiary care hospitals and improve medical education in the country.
- The scheme received a fresh impetus to fulfill Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s vision of quality medical education in the underserved States, and many new All India Institutes of Medical Sciences are being set up under the Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana.
- So far setting up of 22 new AIIMS has been approved under the scheme, out of which six AIIMS at Bhopal, Bhubaneswar, Jodhpur, Patna, Raipur, and Rishikesh are already fully functional.
- In another seven AIIMS, OPD facility and MBBS classes have started while in five more institutes only MBBS classes have started.
- These regional AIIMS, set up or being set up under PMSSY, have played a very significant role in the management of COVID since the beginning of the pandemic early last year.