Re-Imagining Urban Rivers:
National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) and the National Institute for Urban Affairs (NIUA) had organised ‘Re-Imagining Urban Rivers’, a national level thesis competition in September 2020, under a joint project that the two organizations are implementing to promulgate river- sensitive development in our cities.
- This is a first of its kind initiative to engage young minds to research and envisage solutions for urban river issues.
- The purpose of this sponsored thesis competition is to tap into the intellect and creativity of students to arrive at innovative solutions for re-imagining the outlook and management of rivers that flow through cities and their associated features.
- The competition had three themes – Re-imagining water bodies and/or wetlands, developing eco-friendly riverfront projects and Promoting River tourism.
- Students from leading institutes across the country presented their thesis in the grand finale of the competition on 19th Aug 2021 at Indian Habitat Centre, New Delhi.
- Second edition of the Sponsored Thesis Project Competition was launched recently.
- This year’s themes will be ‘Reducing River pollution’, ‘Rejuvenating water bodies’, ‘Creating a vibrant river zone’, ‘Generating river-related economy’ and ‘Engaging citizens in river management activities.’