SHRESHTA Scheme : Issued Instructions For Residential Private Schools
The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) recently issued instructions for Residential Private Schools interested in joining SHRESHTA Scheme.
- Scheme for Residential Education for Students in High Schools in Targeted Areas (SHRESHTA) aims to provide access to the best private residential schools for meritorious students from Scheduled Caste (SC) communities.
- It will provide scholarships to meritorious students from SC communities to study in private and NGO-run residential schools for Classes 9-12.
- The scheme is expected to provide admissions to around 3,000 students in Classes 9 and 11 each year.
- The core objectives of the scheme are to enhance the reach of the development initiatives of the government and fill in the gap in service-deprived SC dominant areas in the education sector.
- The scheme will collaborate with voluntary organisations to provide an environment that can help create conditions for socio-economic upliftment and the overall development of the SC communities.
- The Department of Social Justice and Empowerment, Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment.
- Students whose annual parental income is less than Rs 2,50,000 and who belong to SC communities are eligible to participate in this scheme.
- Only those candidates who have passed or are appearing in Class VIII/X in the given academic session can apply for admission to Class IX/XI.
- The scheme will cover the tuition fee, the hostel fee, and the mess fees for qualifying students.