Smart Cities Mission (SCM):
The deadline for completing projects under the Smart Cities Mission (SCM) has been extended for all 100 participating cities to June 2023 due to the delays caused by COVID-19 and based on a NITI Aayog recommendation in August.
Smart Cities mission:
- GoI launched the smart cities mission in 2015.
- The cities were given five years to complete the projects under the mission, with the first set of Smart Cities expected to complete in 2021.
- The objective is to integrate city functions, utilize scarce resources more efficiently, and improve the quality of life of citizens.
- It is an innovative initiative under the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.
- It is a Centrally Sponsored Scheme.
Smart city is envisaged to have four pillars:
- Social Infrastructure.
- Physical Infrastructure.
- Institutional Infrastructure (including Governance).
- Economic Infrastructure.
Of the total proposed projects under this mission, 5,924 projects have been tendered, work orders have been issued for 5,236 and 2,665 projects are fully operational.
- 212 PPP projects worth Rs. 24,964 crore have been grounded/completed
- 70 Smart cities have developed. operationalized their Integrated Command and Control Centres (ICCCs) in the country.