Sustainable Aviation Fuel (SAF):
CSIR- Indian Institute of Petroleum has signed MOU with Air India, AirAsia and Vistara (all under TATA), for SAF to achieve net zero emissions (NZE).
- International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) has put the target of net zero in the aviation sector by 2050.
- Sustainable aviation fuels are biofuels made from sustainable resources, such as forestry and agricultural waste and used cooking oil and can be blended with fossil jet fuel to reduce emissions.
- It is a ‘drop-in’ fuel, meaning it can be added with no changes needed to the aircraft.
- In 2016, the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) adopted a global market-based mechanism, the Carbon Offsetting and Reduction Scheme for International Aviation (CORSIA), to address CO2 emissions from international aviation.
- Beginning in 2027, virtually all international flights will be subject to mandatory offsetting requirements