Tribal Affairs Amendment Bills 2024:
Rajya Sabha has passed the Constitution (STs) Order Amendment Bill 2024 and the Constitution (SCs and STs) Order Amendment Bill 2024, presented by the Ministry of Tribal Affairs.
- Among the additions were notably seven Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups (PVTGs) (a subset of STs) – four in Odisha and three in Andhra Pradesh.
- The independent names of these PVTGs had been specifically added as synonyms or sub-tribes of communities already on the ST lists of these States.
- In Odisha, the PVTG communities added are – Pauri Bhuyan and Paudi Bhuyan as synonyms of the Bhuyan tribe; The Chuktia Bhunjia as a synonym of the Bhunjia tribe; The Bondo as a sub-tribe of the Bondo Poraja tribe; and The Mankidia as a synonym for the Mankirdia tribe.
- In Andhra Pradesh, the PVTG communities included Bondo Porja and Khond Porja as synonyms of the Porja tribe and the Konda Savaras as a synonym for the Savaras tribe.
- These groups belong to PVTGs and have been included in the scheduled list after 75 years of independence.