Udangudi Panangkarupatti : GI Tag
Udangudi ‘Panangkarupatti’ (palm jaggery/ gur) from Tamil Nadu has received a Geographical Indication (GI) tag.
- The palm jaggery preparation procedure in this area is traditional till date without inclusion of any additional modern strategies.
- The karupatti prepared from the palm sap from the region around Udangudi in Tiruchendur taluk in Thoothukudi district has some uniqueness.
- This is due to the presence of red sand dune soil found in the region.
- This soil holds less groundwater.
- The moisture content in the atmosphere is less because of the dry climatic condition, which leads to high sucrose content, in turn adding taste.
- The region’s dry climate is also suitable for storage of karupatti for a longer duration.
- No chemical additives like Triple super phosphate and phosphoric acid are used in its preparation.