North East Cane And Bamboo Development Council (NECBDC):
The Union Territory of Jammu & Kashmir will set up three Bamboo Clusters through technical know-how and collaboration from North East Cane and Bamboo Development Council (NECBDC).
Each of the three clusters will be devoted to the production of Agarbatti, baskets, and charcoal respectively.
What is NECBDC:
- Formerly known as the ‘Cane and Bamboo Development Council’ (CBDC), NECBDC was incorporated with the objective of organizing the hitherto untapped bamboo sector of North East India.
- Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir has huge Bamboo reserves that can boost its economy in the future.
- Bamboo cultivation can revolutionize the industry in Jammu and Kashmir in a cost-effective manner and can open new gates for young start-ups.
- The UT Govt. is in the process of identifying 100 venues and will identify the programs to be held there in the first phase.
National Bamboo Mission (NBM):
- The mission was launched in April 2018.
- It aims to-increase the area under bamboo cultivation and also adopting regional based strategies to promote bamboo products.
- The NBM envisages promoting holistic growth of the bamboo sector by adopting the area-based, regionally differentiated strategy and increasing the area under bamboo cultivation and marketing.
- The NBM will be a sub-scheme of the National Mission on Sustainable Agriculture (NMSA) under the umbrella scheme Krishonnati Yojana.