World Environment Day 2022 : Theme
World Environment Day is being celebrated across the globe on June 5, 2022.
- The day is observed to raise global awareness to take positive environmental action to protect nature and the planet Earth.
- It is observed on 5th of June every year since 1973 as part of the United Nations Environment Programme to build awareness to save life on planet Earth.
- World Environment Day was established in 1972 by the United Nations at the Stockholm Conference on the Human Environment ( 5–16 June 1972), that had resulted from discussions on the integration of human interactions and the environment.
- The theme of this year’s World Environment Day is – only one Earth.
- “Only One Earth” was also the slogan for the first United Nations Conference on the Human Environment, held in Stockholm in 1972.
‘Save Soil Movement’ in New Delhi on the occasion of World Environment Day:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will attend a programme on ‘Save Soil Movement’ in New Delhi on the occasion of World Environment Day.
- Save Soil Movement is a global movement to increase awareness about deteriorating soil health and bring about a conscious response to improve soil.
- The movement was started by Sadhguru in March this year, who embarked on a 100-day motorcycle journey passing through 27 countries.
- The Save Soil movement strives to rally the environmentally-conscious around soil conservation, advocating the power of individual actions for policy change and public engagement.
- Prime Minister’s participation in the programme will be reflective of the shared concerns and commitment towards improving the health of soil in the country.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will launch a global initiative ‘Lifestyle for the Environment (LiFE) Movement, on the occasion of World Environment Day:
- The launch will initiate ‘LiFE Global Call for Papers’ inviting ideas and suggestions from academics, universities & research institutions etc to influence and persuade individuals, communities and organisations across the world to adopt an environment conscious lifestyle.
- The idea of LiFE was introduced by the Prime Minister during the 26th United Nations Climate Change Conference of the Parties COP-26 in Glasgow last year.
- The idea promotes an environment-conscious lifestyle that focuses on mindful and deliberate utilisation instead of mindless and destructive consumption.
Clean and Green’ campaign on World Environment Day.:
- The Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs will launch a ‘Clean and Green’ campaign on World Environment Day.
- Under this campaign, Urban Local Bodies across the country will hold awareness programmes to free the country from single-use plastic and contribute to improve the environment.
- The Ministry also has issued a detailed advisory to State and Union Territories in this direction.
- In the advisory, the Ministry has instructed to ban Single-Use Plastic by 30th of June.
- The Ministry further said that States and Urban Local Bodies have to enter into Memorandum of Understanding with nearby cement plants or other industrial units.
- It also directed to ensure that a part of the plastic waste generated is used either as an alternative fuel in cement plants, or for road construction purposes.
- The advisory stresses on large-scale people participation to carry forward the message of Single-Use Plastics ban and enforcement.