Today’s Current Affairs: 16th Oct 2023 for SSC CGL, State SSC, RRB, Railways, Banking Exam & IBPS, etc
5th National Water Awards 2023:
- All applications for these awards will be accepted exclusively through the online Rashtriya Puraskar portal. Interested individuals and organizations can access this portal or the department’s website for additional information.
- The deadline for submitting applications is set for December 15, 2023.
Ferry Services Launched Between India and Sri Lanka:
- This development marks a new phase in diplomatic and economic ties between the two nations.
- Vessel Cheriyapani traveled with 50 passengers on its inaugural journey to Sri Lanka. It will return back to India by evening with passengers from Sri Lanka.
BSNL Installs the First-Ever Mobile Tower at Siachen Glacier:
- The installation of the first-ever mobile tower at the Siachen Glacier is a significant achievement, considering its challenging location in the eastern Karakoram range, which is part of the Himalayas.
- Siachen Glacier is renowned as the highest battleground on Earth.
Coastal Security Exercise Sagar Kavach 02/23:
- The Indian Navy conducted a two-day comprehensive Coastal Security Exercise known as Sagar Kavach 02/23.
- This exercise involved all maritime security agencies.
- It took place in the states of Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu, as well as the Union Territory of Puducherry
Banking and Financial Capital of India:
- Chennai, a vibrant metropolis situated on the southeastern shores of India, proudly holds the esteemed title of the “Banking Capital of India.”
- Financial Capital of India given to Mumbai, situated on India’s western coast, is a dynamic and thriving metropolis that goes beyond being just a city.
World Food Day 2023:
- World Food Day is an annual observance that takes place on October 16.
- It is a global initiative aimed at addressing the pressing issues of hunger, food security, and access to proper nutrition
Green Credit Program to Promote Eco-Friendly Actions:
- The government has initiated a novel program that allows individuals and entities to earn and trade green credits, which are units of incentives for environmentally beneficial actions.
- This program aims to encourage positive environmental contributions through market-based incentives.
Indian Space Conclave 2023:
- The 2nd edition of annual Indian Space Conclave (ISC 2023) was held at Manekshaw Centre in New Delhi, Delhi by Indian Space Association (ISpA).
- The theme of ISC 2023 is ‘Bhumandal se Brahaman Tak’ (From Earth to the Entire Universe)’.
Protocol for Management of Malnutrition in Children :
- Union Minister Smriti Zubin Irani, Ministry of Women and Child Development (MoWCD) launched a new standardised Protocol for Management of Malnutrition in Children (Protocol) during a national event “Suposhit Bharat – Sashakt Bharat” at Vigyan Bhawan, Delhi, to fight malnutrition in children in India.
Union Minister Arjun Munda Inaugurated Aadi Mahotsav in Jharkhand:
- Union Minister Arjun Munda, Ministry of Tribal Affairs(MoTA) inaugurated “Aadi Mahotsav” – the National Tribal Festival, organised by Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India Limited (TRIFED), at Jamshedpur, Jharkhand.
- The event will be held from 7th to 16th October 2023 commemorating the celebration of Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav
RBI Cancels CoR of Ind Bank Housing Ltd; Imposes Rs 5.39cr penalty on Paytm Payments Bank:
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has cancelled the Certificate of Registration (CoR) Chennai, Tamil Nadu (TN) based Ind Bank Housing Ltd, a Housing Finance Company (HFC) w.e.f. September 21, 2023.
- This decision has been taken by RBI in exercise of its powers conferred on it under Section 29A (6) of the NHB Act, 1987.
SIDBI & IPPB inked MoU for Financial Support to MSMEs in Remote Areas:
- India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) has signed an agreement with Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) to extend financial and other support services to MSMEs (Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises) in rural and remote areas.
IAF & Army successfully test fired BrahMos Missile:
- Indian Air Force(IAF) successfuly test fired its Surface to Surface version of the BrahMos missile in the vicinity of the Eastern Seaboard Archipelago.
International Day for Disaster Risk Reduction 2023 :
- The United Nations (UN) International Day for Disaster Risk Reduction (IDDRR) is annually observed across the globe on 13 October to promote a global culture of risk awareness and disaster reduction.
- The 2023 theme of International Day for Disaster Risk Reduction is, “Fighting inequality for a resilient future.”