Drug 2-deoxy-D-glucose (2-DG):
The DCGI has granted emergency use approval to DRDO’s 2-DG drug for treatment in moderate to severe cases of Covid-19.2-DG helps in the faster recovery of hospitalized patients and reduces supplemental oxygen dependence.
- The drug 2-deoxy-D-glucose (2-DG) has been developed by DRDO’s Institute of Nuclear Medicine and Allied Sciences (INMAS) in collaboration with Hyderabad-based Dr. Reddy’s Laboritories.
- The drug comes in powder form in a sachet, which is taken orally by dissolving it in water.
- It accumulates in the virus-infected cells and prevents virus growth by stopping viral synthesis and energy production.
- Its selective accumulation in virally infected cells makes this drug unique.
- Clinical trial results have shown that this molecule helps in faster recovery of hospitalized patients and reduces supplemental oxygen dependence, noted the release.