5th Edition Of The Kochi-Muziris Biennale:
The 5th edition of the Kochi-Muziris Biennale opens on December 12, 2022, displaying works of over 90 artists from across the globe in varied media.
- The Kochi Muziris Biennale was founded in 2011 by Kerala-born, Mumbai-based artists Bose Krishnamachari and Riyas Komu.
- It aims to “create a platform that will introduce contemporary, global visual art theory and practice to India”.
- A biennale is an international large-scale showcase of art that takes place every two years at a particular site, centred around a curatorial theme.
- The theme for 2022: “In Our Views Flow Ink and Fire”.
- One of the most prestigious and oldest biennales in the world is the Venice Biennale, which was established through a resolution by the city council in 1893 to celebrate national artistic talent.
- In 2009, a global Biennale Foundation was established with an “aim to create a platform for dialogue, networking, and knowledge sharing among contemporary art biennials around the world”.
- Biennales often named after the host city, become a reason for local pride, promoting cultural tourism and generating revenue through visitors.