9th BRICS Science & Technology Ministers Meeting:
India’s Minister for Science & Technology chaired the 9th BRICS Science & Technology Ministers meeting.
- Earlier, the Prime Minister chaired the annual summit of the BRICS which was held virtually.
- 2021 is an important landmark year in BRICS Cooperation as the grouping completed 15 years.
- The member countries should work towards a rightful place for BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa) in the Global Innovation Index.
- It can be achieved through further strengthening the cooperation in the field of Science, Technology and Innovation (STI).
- BRICS Ranking in Global Innovation Index, 2021: India (46), China (12), Russia (45), Brazil (57) and South Africa (61).
- BRICS countries must come together and innovate cost effective, affordable, accessible, sustainable and scalable scientific solutions, as they face many similar and unique challenges.
- BRICS Innovation Cooperation Action Plan (2021-24)
- BRICS member countries have agreed to a Science, Technology and Innovation (STI)-led BRICS Innovation Cooperation Action Plan (2021-24) proposed by India during the 12th meeting of the grouping’s science & technology steering committee.
- It will facilitate sharing of experiences of each other’s innovation ecosystem and networking of innovators and entrepreneurs.
- In accordance with the plan BRICS Ministers and their representatives endorsed the BRICS Science, Technology and Innovation Calendar of Activities 2020-2021.