India and Australia have participated in the 4th edition of AUSINDEX Naval Exercise.
- It comes on the heels of the Malabar Naval Exercise, one of the largest wargaming exercises of India, in which all the four members of the Quad had participated – India, Australia, the US and Japan – in the last week of August.
- These exercises are a part of the two-month deployment of the Navy’s Eastern Fleet to Southeast Asia, South China Sea and the Western Pacific.
- It is a major biennial bilateral exercise, first held in India in 2015.
- The 2021 exercise is being held in Australia.
- It aims to consolidate shared commitment to regional and global security challenges promoting peace, security and stability in the Indo-Pacific region.
- It is aligned to the 2020 Comprehensive Strategic Partnership between the two nations.
- Other Exercises: Ex AUSTRA HIND (Bilateral Exercise with Army), EX PITCH BLACK (Australia’s multilateral air combat training exercise)