Bachelor Of Sowa Rigpa Medicine And Surgery (BSRMS):
The University Grants Commission has issued notification recognizing Bachelor of Sowa Rigpa Medicine and Surgery (BSRMS) under the specified Degrees.
- Duration of the degree will be of minimum of five years and Ten plus Two (10+2) is fixed as entry qualification.
- In a gazette notification issued on 14th of October, UGC recognized BSRMS as a new degree under Medicine & Surgery, Ayurveda, Unani, Homeopathy and Health & Allied Sciences, Pharmacy, Paramedical and Nursing.
- Sowa Rigpa is a traditional and popular medicinal practice in the Himalayan region.
- So far, only two deemed to be universities, namely Central Institute of Buddhist Studies (CIBS) in Leh and Central Institute of Higher Tibetan Studies (CIHTS) located in Saranath are offering the degree in Sowa Rigpa medicine.
- With UGC recognition, any university could offer BSRMS degree in their colleges.