Baiga Tribe : Praised By Prime Minister Sri Narendra Modi
The Prime Minister of India appreciated the efforts of Lahari Bai, of the Baiga tribe who has been engaged in the conservation of more than 150 varieties of millet.
- The Baiga Tribe is one of the Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups (PVTGs).
- They reside in Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Bihar, Odisha, West Bengal, Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh.
- Traditionally, the Baiga lived a semi-nomadic life and practised slash-and-burn cultivation. Now, they are mainly dependent on minor forest produce for their livelihood.
- They practice a form of shifting cultivation called, “Bewar.”
- Mahua is an important aspect of Baiga’s food and drink. It is an intoxicant prepared from the fermentation and distillation of the flowers of the Mahua tree.
- Tattooing is an integral part of Baiga culture, every age and body part has a specific tattoo reserved for the occasion.