Gujarat becomes first State in the country to launch Balika Panchayat.
- The country’s first-ever girl Panchayat, “Balika Panchayat”, which was started in several villages of Gujarat’s Kutch district, aims to promote the social and political development of the girls and ensure their active participation of girls in politics.
- This is a unique initiative of the Women and Child Development Welfare department of the Gujarat Government under the ‘Beti Bachao Beti Padhao’ campaign.
- It started in Kunaria, Maska, Motagua, and Vadsar villages of the Kutch district.
- The Ministry of Women and Child Development is also planning to begin the girl panchayat across the country.
- “Balika Panchayat” is managed by people in the 11-21 age group and its main objective is to promote the social and political development of the girl child and to remove the evil practices from the society such as child marriage, and the dowry system.