Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Scheme:
The Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) Scheme has recently completed 6 years of its launch in 2015. On the occasion of National Girl Child Day (24th January), the performance of the BBBP scheme was discussed.
- The National Girl Child Day was started by the Ministry of Women and Child Development in 2008.
About the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) Scheme:
- Prevention of gender-biased sex-selective elimination.
- Ensuring survival & protection of the girl child.
- Ensuring education and participation of the girl child.
- Protecting rights of Girl child.
Multisectoral Nationwide Campaign:
- BBBP is a national campaign and focussed multisectoral action in 100 selected districts low in Child Sex Ratio (CSR), covering all States and UTs.
- This is a joint initiative of the Ministry of Women and Child Development, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and Ministry of Human Resource Development.
Performance of BBBP Scheme:
- Sex Ratio at Birth:
- Sex Ratio at Birth (SRB) has improved by 16 points from 918 (2014-15) to 934 (2019-20), as per the Health Management Information System (HMIS) data.
- Out of 640 districts covered under BBBP, 422 districts have shown improvement in SRB from 2014-15 to 2018-2019.
- Notable Examples:
- Mau (Uttar Pradesh) from 694 (2014-15) to 951 (2019-20),
- Karnal (Haryana) from 758 (2014-15) to 898 (2019-20),
- Mahendergarh (Haryana) from 791 (2014-15) to 919 (2019-20), etc.
- ANC Registration: Percentage of 1st Trimester ANC (AnteNatal Care) Registration has shown an improving trend from 61% in 2014-15 to 71% in 2019-20.
- Institutional Deliveries: Percentage of Institutional Deliveries has shown an improving trend from 87% in 2014-15 to 94% in 2019-20.
- Education :
- Gross Enrolment Ratio (GER): GER of girls in the schools at the secondary level has improved from 77.45 (2014-15) to 81.32 (2018-19) as per Unified District Information System for Education (UDISE) provisional data.
Toilet for girls: The percentage of schools with functional separate toilets for girls has shown improvement from 92.1% in 2014-15 to 95.1% in 2018-19.
- The BBBP scheme has been able to bring the focus on the important issues of female infanticide, lack of education amongst girls, and deprivation of their rights on a life cycle continuum.
- BetiJanmotsav is one of the key programs celebrated in each district.
Need Monthly Current Affairs PDF?
Get everything on your phone with our all in one app for your UPSC Preparation.
- Get daily current affairs on you phone
- Download monthly current affairs PDF
- All India daily mock tests with ranking