Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Scheme:
The Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) Scheme has recently completed 6 years of its launch in 2015. On the occasion of National Girl Child Day (24th January), the performance of the BBBP scheme was discussed.
- The National Girl Child Day was started by the Ministry of Women and Child Development in 2008.
About the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) Scheme:
- Prevention of gender-biased sex-selective elimination.
- Ensuring survival & protection of the girl child.
- Ensuring education and participation of the girl child.
- Protecting rights of Girl child.
Multisectoral Nationwide Campaign:
- BBBP is a national campaign and focussed multisectoral action in 100 selected districts low in Child Sex Ratio (CSR), covering all States and UTs.
- This is a joint initiative of the Ministry of Women and Child Development, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and Ministry of Human Resource Development.
Performance of BBBP Scheme:
- Sex Ratio at Birth:
- Sex Ratio at Birth (SRB) has improved by 16 points from 918 (2014-15) to 934 (2019-20), as per the Health Management Information System (HMIS) data.
- Out of 640 districts covered under BBBP, 422 districts have shown improvement in SRB from 2014-15 to 2018-2019.
- Notable Examples:
- Mau (Uttar Pradesh) from 694 (2014-15) to 951 (2019-20),
- Karnal (Haryana) from 758 (2014-15) to 898 (2019-20),
- Mahendergarh (Haryana) from 791 (2014-15) to 919 (2019-20), etc.
- ANC Registration: Percentage of 1st Trimester ANC (AnteNatal Care) Registration has shown an improving trend from 61% in 2014-15 to 71% in 2019-20.
- Institutional Deliveries: Percentage of Institutional Deliveries has shown an improving trend from 87% in 2014-15 to 94% in 2019-20.
- Education :
- Gross Enrolment Ratio (GER): GER of girls in the schools at the secondary level has improved from 77.45 (2014-15) to 81.32 (2018-19) as per Unified District Information System for Education (UDISE) provisional data.
Toilet for girls: The percentage of schools with functional separate toilets for girls has shown improvement from 92.1% in 2014-15 to 95.1% in 2018-19.
- The BBBP scheme has been able to bring the focus on the important issues of female infanticide, lack of education amongst girls, and deprivation of their rights on a life cycle continuum.
- BetiJanmotsav is one of the key programs celebrated in each district.