Champai Soren : Jharkhand’s New Chief Minister
Jharkhand Mukti Morcha’s (JMM) Champai Soren has taken oath as the new Chief Minister of Jharkhand on February 2, 2024.
- He was accompanied by Satyanand Bhokta and Alamgir Alam who were sworn in as Cabinet Ministers. Mr. Champai was elected as the new leader of the JMM Legislature Party following Hemant Soren’s arrest by the Enforcement Directorate on January 31 under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) after he met the Governor and submitted his resignation as Chief Minister.
- Champai Soren will be 12th Chief Minister of Jharkhand. He is from the Jharkhand’s Kolhan region which comprises East Singhbhum, West Singhbhum and Seraikela-Kharsawan districts.
- In the 81-member Jharkhand Assembly, the majority alliance has 47 MLAs JMM 29, Congress 17 and RJD 1.
- The BJP has 26 members and the AJSU Party three.
- The NCP and CPI (ML) have one lawmaker each, apart from two Independents.