Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Jayanti:
Prime Minister of Inida has paid homage to Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj on his Jayanti.
- The founder of the Maratha Kingdom, Shivaji was born to be a natural leader and fighter on 19th February, 1630 in the prestigious Shivneri Fort.
- He was known as the Father of Indian Navy, Shivaji was the first to realise the importance of having a naval force, and therefore he strategically established a navy and forts at the coastline to defend the Konkan side of Maharashtra.
- The secular ruler was very accommodating of all religions. He had numerous Muslim soldiers in his army.
- Shivaji was a dependable supporter of women and their honour. Anyone under his rule caught violating woman’s rights was severely punished.
- He had a council of ministers (Asht Pradhan) to advise him on the matters of the state but he was not bound by it.
- He was called as the ‘Mountain Rat’ and was widely known for his guerrilla warfare tactics.
- He was called so because of his awareness in geography of his land, and guerrilla tactics like raiding, ambushing and surprise attacks on his enemies