Delhi Municipal Corporation (Amendment) Bill, 2022:
The Union Cabinet cleared a Bill that proposes to unify the three civic bodies in Delhi. The Delhi Municipal Corporation (Amendment) Bill, 2022, is expected to be tabled in Parliament this week.
- The amendment proposes a unified Municipal Corporation of Delhi by subsuming the South Delhi Municipal Corporation, the North Delhi Municipal Corporation and the East Delhi Municipal Corporation.
- The corporation was trifurcated in 2012.
- According to Government of India, The division of the corporation was uneven in terms of territorial divisions and revenue generation. As a result, there is a huge gap in the resources available to the three corporations, vis-à-vis their obligation.
- The gap has widened over time, increasing the financial difficulties of the civic bodies.
- At the moment the precise contours of the unified civic body are yet to emerge especially in terms of the composition of its legislature and the executive.